Ready, Set, Serve!
Back by popular demand! If you need a signature item for your holiday menu, you must try
this wonderful Christmas Soup recipe, compliments of our catering specialist Gwen Turner.
Compliments of Gwen Turner
1 pound kielbasa
(sliced 1/4-inch thick on bias)
Vegetable oil, as needed
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound red kidney beans
(soaked at least 4 hours or overnight)
2 quarts chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 pound red bliss potatoes
(cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
6 ounces fresh kale
(approximately 4 handfuls)
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
1. Place the kielbasa into a 7-quart Dutch oven and set over medium-low heat. Cook until the kielbasa has browned well and rendered its fat, approximately 15 minutes. If you do not have at least 2 teaspoons of fat, add enough vegetable oil to make 2 teaspoons.
2. Remove the kielbasa from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the garlic from burning. Add the beans and the chicken broth and cook, covered, for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, add the potatoes, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Wash, rinse and trim the kale and tear into bite size pieces. Add the kale to the pot, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes or just until it is tender, but not mushy.
5. Add the red wine vinegar and black pepper and stir to combine.
6. Evenly distribute the kielbasa between 8 soup bowls. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.